Friday, August 8, 2008

Olympics Begin Tonight!


It's that time again! Once every two years, the world pauses and watches as thousands of athletes compete for those coveted gold medals. I must admit that the Summer Olympics are my favorite. I enjoy the winter games, but the summer ones, in my opinion, are just more fun to watch.

I do find it strange that I enjoy the Olympics so much, being that I'm really not a big sports fan. I can't explain it, maybe it's that we always watched the Olympics when I was a kid. Maybe it's all of the media hype. I don't really know. All I do know is that my DVR is going to get quite the workout in the next couple of weeks as I settle in to watch my favorite events. These would include swimming (go Michael Phelps!), gymnastics (how in the world can they be that flexible??), track & field (no one should be able to run that fast), and soccer (that's really more for Jeremy than me).

I also know that I'm ready to welcome Bob Costas back into my home so he can tell me the personal and "behind-the-scenes" stories of all of the athletes. How is it that he is such an iconic figure of NBC, yet we really only see him every two years at the Olympics??
I look forward to more memories being created. I'll never forget watching Kerri Strug being carried out by Bela Karolyi during the 1996 games in Atlanta, along with their memorable routine to "Macarena." Watching the "Dream Team" win the gold in Barcelona is another favorite memory.
So for those of you who are going to watch, what are your favorite events or favorite Olympic memories?

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Bob Costas- that is too funny!

Trisha said...

We love watching the Olympics too! We have had it on all day and I'm looking forward to the gymnastics. I too have great memories of the 96 gymnastics team. During the last Olympics, Justin and I were packing up our Cornerstone apt and getting ready to move to Nashville! Time does fly by!!

Enjoy the last few weeks of pregnancy! They are very fun. Get lots of couple time and don't feel bad for sleeping in or taking a nap :) You deserve it!

Unknown said...

WE are requesting for the next two weeks that all camps we stay in have cable TV so that we can watch as we continue our cross country trip. Thanks Cassie for the anniversary message it made me cry again.

Mom

Erin Morgan said...

I am also a HUGE fan of Bob Costas. I remember being in my dorm room in Babcock hall in 2000, watching him on TV and deciding that I wanted to marry him!! He has a great sense of humor and I love watching him.

Oh, the Mens 4x100m Swimming last night was fantastic! Were you able to see it? If not, catch the replay, it was phenomenal! Very inspiring!

Yes, as Trisha said, enjoy the Olympics and get lots of rest. You deserve it. And make sure you go on a date or two... they are very precious times!