Saturday, November 15, 2008

One Month (and a day)


I had hoped to post yesterday, in order to mark Hannah's one month birthday. However, Hannah had other plans, plans that involved being held all day due to extreme fussiness. Apparently she didn't receive the memo about the planned blogging. I'll have to work on that for next time. :)

It's hard to believe that Hannah is already a month old. I know everyone told me that the time would go quickly, but still I am surprised. Along with that comes the knowledge that in just two short weeks, I'll be returning to work. While I am anxious to get back to my students and co-workers, I also am sad to think of leaving Hannah each day. It is also sad to know that in just two short weeks I will have try and fit into my old work clothes. You know, that really isn't sad...it's scary!

But this isn't supposed to be about me, it's supposed to be about Hannah, so back to her. :) She has grown and changed so much in this first month. Again, something I know every new parent says, but not something you realize as truth until you experience it for yourself. At her first doctor's appointment, which was when she was only a week old, she had already gained 9.5 ounces, putting her at 7lbs, 15.5oz. I'm sure by now she is over that 8lb mark.


Her hair, which I had fully expected to fall out (mine did when I was a newborn), is still there. It's growing longer and has just the slightest bit of red to it. My sister, who is a redhead herself, finds this to be the most exciting thing ever. Her eyes, which are generally quite dark, do have a steely blue to them as well. They are just so dark, but so bright at the same time. They're beautiful, that's for sure.

Jeremy and I have come a long way in figuring out her cries and moods. When she starts to shake her fists angrily in the air, we know that she is probably hungry. We have also learned that she does not like to have her feeding interrupted in order to be burped. She cries and wails when the bottle is taken away, but since she is a gulper (and therefore takes in a lot of air), she has to be burped several times during each feeding. Sadly for her, we just tune out the cries and burp her anyway. I think we all feel better when each feeding is done.

When she was two weeks old, we took her to have her pictures taken. An experience that we have agreed was not positive for anyone. Hannah was tired and uncooperative, the girl taking the pictures was obnoxious, and the pictures just didn't turn out that great. We'll try again in a few months.

Hannah also celebrated her first Halloween this month. She celebrated the day by going to my school and visiting my students. We also made the rounds to the different teachers. It clearly wasn't very exciting, as Hannah slept the entire two hours we were there.

This month also brought with it a lot of visiting with family. It has been so much fun introducing our little girl to all of her family members. Its already clear that she and Baeley will have a special bond. He can't wait for her to get a little bit bigger, so that he can play with her and teach her all sorts of things. Hopefully, they won't get into too much trouble together. :)

I'm sure there are many more things I could write about, but someone is awake and requiring my attention. Duty calls!

1 comment:

Agent Henry said...

Cass- the pic of Hannah is priceless! LOL!