Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sugar High

I knew this day was coming. A month ago, at my last appointment, I had been sent home with a special drink. A drink I was to consume 45 minutes before today's appointment. I had heard horror stories about this drink, but was determined that I would be different. That this drink would not get the best of me. That surely, I would be the one to taste it and say, "Yum, that wasn't bad at all."

Yeah, not so much. It wouldn't be so bad if you could drink it on a full stomach. But combining the drink with a fast? That's just some sort of torture that should be kept for hard core felons, not women who are pregnant. It was one of the worst tasting drinks I've ever had. It was like a combination of that orange drink you get at McDonald's and about 8 extra cups of sugar.

Then, to top it off, you get to be poked by a needle and have blood taken from your body. Because you haven't done enough yet. I can only hope, that when they call tomorrow with the results, they will tell me I'm done. That the test for gestational diabetes came back fine and I'm good to go, because truthfully? I don't think I could down that stuff again. Let's all just keep our fingers crossed, k?

1 comment:

Jen Rouse said...

Apparently I am "the one." Who thinks it wasn't so bad after all. Every time I had it, it was the lemon-lime flavor. And while it certainly was sickly-sweet, I had abosolutely no problems drinking it. Go ahead and be jealous if you want to.