Monday, September 1, 2008

A Brand New Year

Tomorrow marks the start of a new school year for me and I truly am looking forward to it. Last week we had our Open House, so I was able to meet around 16 of my 26 students. From those that I met, it seems like I have a really good group of kids. For the first time in recent years, I have a lot more girls in my class than I do boys. Thankfully, I teach 4th grade, so having more girls doesn't necessarily mean the same thing that it would if I were to teach middle school.

In a lot of ways, the first day of school feels the same to me now, as it did when I was the student, not the teacher. I still get nervous, I still have a hard time sleeping the night before, and I still have a fear of oversleeping the morning of the first day. I get completely giddy looking at school supplies and still think it's fun to get a new outfit for the first day. Although this year there was no new first day outfit as I've had to buy a lot of new clothes as a of late.

Of course, the first day of school also means that summer vacation is over. Now is the time when I reflect back on my summer and think about whether or not I accomplished everything I had hoped. Well, I had hoped to read a lot of books and was able to do that. I wanted to finish the quilt that I'm making for my precious little girl, and sadly, that I did not get done. Although it's almost done and hopefully, by the end of this week, it should be complete. I had hoped to get my home completely ready (clean and organized) for the arrival of our new family member. I can give myself a 50% on that one. It's looking a lot better, but still needs to have some work done. I can't be too disappointed in myself as I really enjoyed my summer which is the most important thing.

Well, to those of you heading back to school or sending kids off to school, enjoy the first day. To the rest of you, well, I suppose you can enjoy your day as well! :)


No comments: